Jump to Content

Selivansky House

Selivansky House is a residential building located at the corner of Shabazi and Yehoshua Hatalmi streets and was originally built between 1909-1917. Initially, the land was purchased from the Shloush family in the late 1800s by Yosef Selivansky, a polish baker and head of the Selivansky family. The lot was situated at the northern edge of the developing Neve Tzedek neighborhood overlooking the main road- Shabazi St.
The family residence and an adjacent service building were constructed on the plot of land, on the crest of a hill and is considered one of the first structures erected on the street.
The residence was built to the height of 2 stories and the adjacent service structure built to a single level.
The Selivansky family opened a bakehouse offering fresh baked goods to the local area, and specialized in making matzah bread to supply the residents of Neve Tzedek, Neve Shalom, Jewish-owned Jaffa hostels, and Sha’er Zion Hospital during Passover. Commercial activities operated out of the main building and the basement facing Y. Hatalmi was converted to a shoemaker’s workshop.
The corner room was converted into a Tnuva buffet in the 1930s and a printing shop was run out of the service structure by the 1960s

Shabazi Street 65, Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Dror & Liora Yehuda